THE SCORPION HOME ANTENNA
The antenna can be ground mounted using wire radials as a counterpoise. “we offer a ground mounting coupling in our accessories page.”
A better ground system is to use .5 by .5 inch spaced wire cloth sold at Home Depot. A 10 ft. by 10 ft. section of wire cloth will perform better than multiple short radials “wire ground radials” because of the density of metal under the antenna. “The larger the screen size the better the performance!”
We have several customers living in Sun City Grand that have done this and have obtained their DXCC in less than a year using WSPR FT-8. The screen or wire cloth can be buried or just laid down so grass will grow between so nothing is seen but the Scorpion Antenna.
With elevated wire radials known as tuned counterpoises, you will lose ground losses but now they need to be resonant for the frequency of operation. For each band two elevated wire radials need to be 180 degrees out for each other, this will produce an RF field similar to a dipole.
The Scorpion Stinger counterpoise antennas will also work as an elevated counterpoise that can be adjusted to a very low standing wave ratio on all of your favorite bands. Instead of using elevated tuned wire radials, the space saving approach is to use our Scorpion Stinger Antennas as an elevated ground plane or counterpoise.
CLICK PHOTO TO ORDER!
The photos displayed are the SA-680 Home Package Antennas mounted on a customer supplied tripod and mast of choice. The customers common mode choke is an old style “Ugly Balun”!
SCORPION HOME ANTENNA INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING
- The SA-680HP covers 10 – 80 meters with supplied 6 foot whip
- Length retracted: 39” Extended:57”
- 3 inch diameter coil with 10 gage tinned copper wire wound at 6 TPI
- Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less
- Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP Counterpoise antennas rated at 500 watts PEP
- Weighs 25 Lbs
- Our antenna line is supplied with an UHF connector at the base of the antenna
The Scorpion Home Install Package™
Designed to fit the needs of many operators that are stuck in the confines of an HOA, better known as: Home Owners Association. On it’s own merits as a high performing antenna, it can be used as part of your home antenna farm. And if you’re an RV’er, its an excellent portable package for easy setup within an RV site and is easily removed & stored in a small space.
“We are the H.O.A. Busters! Work DX from your backyard!”
ANTENNA MOUNT SPECIFICATIONS
When mounted on a tripod, the adjustable Scorpion Stinger Antennas (ham sticks) become an elevated counterpoise or elevated ground plane. The main body of the antenna is isolate from the Scorpion Stinger Counterpoise Antennas. Additionally both main antenna and the Stingers are isolated from the tripod and earth ground by means of the Scorpion Insulating Bushing made of Delrin®. This bushing is screwed onto the bottom side of the Stingers 8 port hub using a 5 inch by 3/4 inch piece of Stainless allthread. The insulating bushing now slides down into your favorite tripod or mast using the mast clamp to stop rotation of antenna. The entire antenna system is now elevated using the isolated elevated ground plane, which is significantly more efficient than mounting on earth ground with wire radials.
This is the method provided in the Scorpion Home Package. A best fit, high performance and complete solution for most solutions.
Customers with RVs use the tripod mount for ease of setup and break down while traveling. Using a tripod with our Scorpion Stinger Antennas™and Quick Disconnects; antenna setup or take down time can be as little as 3 minutes.
The Home package when broken down can always find a spot in the RV.
The Ameritron© model SDC-102 is an antenna controller that sports 10 memory presets with full manual jog control. The SDC-102 sends a 5 volt signal to the reed switch mounted in our antenna, using the “brown and white wires on connector plug”. We have installed a magnet on our motor coupling that will trigger the reed switch to send a 5 volt signal back to the SDC-102 that can be seen as a count change on the digital display. We use 16 threads per inch polished Stainless threaded rod to drive the coil up/down, so each digit count equals 1/16 of an inch of antenna coil travel. Two digit counts equal 1/8 of an inch of antenna coil travel.
We have tested the Dale Audio TS-88B Black aluminum speaker stand at trade shows and swap meets that we attend. This is the strongest and best built tripod we have found, and for a price of $109.00, this tripod is a true value. We have many customers using this tripod with great results. VIEW TRIPOD HERE.
WHAT IS SUPPLIED WITH OUR HOME PACKAGES
- Scorpion Stinger Adjustable Antennas™, your choice of bands. Two Stinger antennas are required per Band. The most popular bands are: 17, 20, 40 and 80 meters. The standard 8 port Counterpoise Ring accepts 8 Stinger antennas which allows 4 bands of operation.
- Counterpoise Adaptor Ring™ for The Scorpion Stinger Antennas™ to mount to. This is a 8 port Counterpoise Ring accepting 8 Stingers. The Counterpoise Ring is isolated from the Antenna Body.
- Antenna Insulating Bushing…. isolates the Scorpion Antenna and Counterpoise Ring from tripod and ground.
- Antenna Mast Push Pin… this keeps antennas from rotating within the tripod mast.
- RF Choke for coax “Is not supplied” we recommend our customers to purchase the Balun Designs balun Part #1115 for their home installs. The 1115 has the highest common mode choking available to Amateur radio operators!(Note: The 1115 balun offers the highest impedance available for common mode currents on the HF bands. This choke decouples the coax from the antenna, so the antenna will not see the coax as an active radial or counterpoise wire.)
- A Basic Antenna Kit that is supplied with our antennas includes:
- Scorpion Antenna Controller
- 12 volt fused power adapter
- 50 feet of antenna control cable “Home Package only”
- 4 snap-on 31 material type chokes for antenna control cable
- Quick Connect Plug “four pin” for the Antenna Control Cable
- Shunt coil for impedance matching
The Home Package is typically shipped in three containers. Main antenna shipping and handling through UPS is $75.00. (Note: a 6″ Dia by 72″cardboard tube in used for shipping the main antenna. Total weight on average is 28 to 30 Lbs for main antenna.)
The basic antenna kit is a smaller box, it is placed inside the main antenna tube. Scorpion Stinger counterpoise antennas shipping and handling is $40.00 A separate smaller cardboard box is used for shipping the Stinger antennas. (Note: The Stinger antennas “counterpoise antennas” are dropped shipped from the manufacture.)
We use the USPS large flat rate box for the common mode choke and any additional accessories ordered such as the optional 16 port counterpoise adaptor ring. Shipping and handling $20.00 Total shipping for Home package $135.00. Shipping price of the antenna, this gives our customers an idea of what our shipping costs are.